This is not a story that links directly to the maritime history of the port but it does bring to focus the service and sacrifice made by many young men and women of the town during the two World Wars. RAF Sergeant Richard Edwards’ remains lie at rest in the cemetery of a small Belgium village where the residents in 2004 erected a memorial to him and 13 other airmen who perished with him.
Just before midnight on 27 May 1944 a number of Halifax Bombers left RAF Leeming in North Yorkshire to join a massed group of 331 bombers on a mission to destroy a large enemy military camp at Leopoldburg, Belgium. Each Halifax bomber carried a crew of seven. On bomber LV831 ZL-P (nicknamed Gutsy Gerty) of 427 Squadron was Sergeant Richard Edwards, aged 31, of Holyhead. He was the aircraft’s Mid-Upper Gunner. It was his job to protect the aircraft if attacked from above.
Sergeant Edwards was born at Holyhead on 11 November 1912 and baptised at St. Cybi’s Church on 6 December 1912. His parents were Richard and Annie Edwards (nee Abbit). They then lived at Banksland, Maeshyfryd Road, Holyhead. His father was a Ship’s Steward working for the LMS Railway Company. They married in 1909. At the time of the marriage Annie Abbit was working as a Stewardess. Prior to joining the RAF, Richard Edwards was a Police Constable stationed at Chichester in Hampshire. He was unmarried.
Flying in the same group of bombers on that night was another Halifax Bomber, MZ291 AL-Y of 429 Squadron. Both squadrons were manned mostly by Canadians. At approximately 2.30am, there was a mid-air collision between the two bombers and both aircraft crashed to the ground close to the Belgium village of Baisy-Thy. It is not known if this occurred before the aircraft reached the target or on their way back to the UK. All 14 crew members of both aircraft were killed.
Initially all the recovered bodies were buried at the Baisy-Thy Communal Cemetery. However some time later eleven were removed and reburied at the Heverlee War Cemetery, Belgium. Sergeant Edwards’ grave remains at Baisy-Thy. In 2004 the villagers of Baisy-Thy erected a memorial to the crews of the two aircraft.
The Memorial to the two crews at Baisy-Thy
Contributed by the Editor.
This is part of a collection of posts telling the sometimes overlooked stories of some of Holyhead’s brave heroes.
© Holyhead Maritime Museum.
The following websites are the sources of the photographs.